Friday, September 3, 2010

Why, hello there!!

It’s been a while, I know, but really, there hasn’t been much to report. After the surgery I healed rather quickly and was able to eat just about anything I wanted. I was able to maintain my big weight loss from the pre-surgery diet and the first week of healing, but didn’t loose any more for the rest of the month. I had my first fill on Monday, and I’m slowly starting to eat real foods again. It still seems like I can eat more than I should, but I don’t feel hungry nearly as often as I did before the fill.

A few things I’ve noticed in the past month:

Who ever said it only took 21 days to make or break a habit obviously never tried to give up soda. Every single day, I crave it. I would probably give my left arm (not the right, I’m right handed), for it, right now. I’m very proud of the fact that I haven’t touched it since my surgery date though. But *sigh* I do miss it. Who am I kidding, I’d give my right arm too!

Even though I’m able to eat more than I think I should, I know I’m eating far far less than I used to. I can split a meal with my three year old, and we both get enough to eat. And an added bonus – Going out to eat costs less, especially since I don’t order a drink either!

I’ve also realized that no one else really notices what you eat… I was so worried that everyone would notice the change in my eating habits and start to question why I was only eating a little of this or a little of that. Turns out.. NO ONE REALLY CARES! I’ve eaten with several people that don’t know I’ve had the surgery and they don’t even bat an eye.

One habit I’ve been able to break is my drive-thru-eating-alone-in-the-car habit. I used to go through a drive thru almost every day. A disgusting habit that I’m ashamed to admit, but I *love* fast food. But even when I was doing it, I was ashamed of it. I’d usually pay in cash, so my husband wouldn’t notice, eat in the car at a park nearby my office, and dispose of the evidence immediately. I’m so glad to be done with that. I do admit to going through the drive thru twice in the past month, once I got a single hamburger (because I was starving and wouldn’t have the chance to eat for a while), and the second time I got a single breakfast sandwich. So, even though I did cave to the drive thru, my orders were probably less than half the food they were before, and I’m ok with that.

I wore a dress for the first time in, well, years yesterday, and when my son saw me, he said “Mommy, I think you are a Princess”. I think I should wear dresses more often!

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya about the drive through eating. It's something I'm planning on breaking too - bad, nasty habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so great. I'm so glad that your first fill is helping you! Fast food was never my thing, but I was always a secret eater. I would just do it at home - you know, two boxes of Kraft mac and cheese...two FULL boxes. Seriously. I'm glad that my band has give me back some control over my life. Now, about 2 ounces of mac and cheese does the trick! My how life has changed....

    Keep it up! You'll be living in those dresses....

    ReplyDelete